hard one to swallow
March 13, 2012
If only it were as simple as swallowing a spoonful of cancer syrup to make it all better…maybe someday it will be.
I met with Dr. Morgan last Friday, and didn’t really want to post the plan he suggested on my blog just yet because I knew it wasn’t set in stone. Even though my mom and I came to Houston for a second opinion, I think I kinda had hopes that Dr.Younes, Hodgkins lymphoma specialist of MD Anderson Cancer Center, would have the same opinion and just agree with Dr.Morgan’s treatment plan.
Unfortunately, that wasn’t exactly the case. Although Dr. Younes did agree with Dr. Morgan on the stem-cell transplant part, their opinions differed on the initial chemotherapy. Unlike Dr.Morgan, the type of chemotherapy suggested by Dr. Younes would not allow me to finish this semester of college out like I had hoped and might even require me to move to Houston for a few months. Though it would be inconvenient, convenience isn’t the priority right now. When is cancer ever convenient anyway? I’m going to do whatever it takes to get rid of this and move on with my life.
I’m not sure what treatment option I am going to decide on because it also depends on what my insurance company will cover and what further research reveals about the different drugs. The hardest part about all this is that ultimately, the decision to choose the best treatment is left up to me. It’s a blessing to have options, but I wish that I didn’t have to be the one to make the choice. I feel too young and incapable to make a decision that is so crucial to the rest of my life.
It was also a bit unsettling to find out that the cure rate of stem-cell transplant for Hodgkins is 50%. Being an optimistic person, I thought it was going to be a lot higher. I know that God is able. That no decision that I make, no treatment that the doctors do or don’t give me, and no statistic can change His will for my life or hinder His power and ability to heal me.
28 When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied.
IN A NUTSHELL
- We’ve discussed possible treatment options with my oncologist in Nashville and another oncologist in Houston
- Your prayers as we are weighing our options and considering both opinions over the next few days to decide which treatment path to pursue are greatly appreciated